Sunday, October 18, 2009

My first offical post!


Well I decided to start a home/project blog for all of you who may be interested. I find so much joy in being creative and finding ways to make our "little abode" here in Omaha as nice as can be...on a non-existent budget...having a husband in Dental school and me being a stay at-home-mom doesn't allow for a lot of extra cash. But I have found many ways to make things not so great into oh so Fabulous! So I'll try and keep you updated on my many many projects that I have already finish and ones I have plans for in the future! I hope you enjoy and please tell me what you think!

Well this first post is a part one of three. In this post I wanted to show what we did with the main floor. We recently moved to Omaha and were fortunate enough to get a little 3 bedroom 1 1/2 bath, 35-40 year old townhouse! At first sight I knew this place had potential behind all the flaws...the previous owners had 5 boys in here so lets just say it was pretty hammered! Fortunately, not anything too major needed to be done, just a lot of painting...new flooring...and a little tender lovin'. So here are some fun before- and-after pictures....Enjoy!



Kitchen Before:
take a look at that nasty floor...those sticky fake tiles had to go!

Kitchen After:
We re-painted the entire room including the ceiling, removed upper cabinet doors, painted inside and outside of cabinets, installed new hardware, put in new dark pine laminate wood flooring, and added new light fixtures.



Here is the other side of the kitchen... (notice the chalk board. This was easy. I just used a little chalk board paint. I think this was a nice touch.) Still waiting on my hubby to put in the baseboards :)
Living Room Before:
Don't you love those cherry wood stain wood floors? Not really, those had to go before we even moved in! We had all the wood flooring in the entire house refinished to a warm chocolate mocha colored stain...it was one of the only things I loved the day we moved in!
Living room: After
Again we repainted entire room from top to bottom, refinished wood floors, add a warm cozy rug, and a nice comfy couch to lounge on...this room is definitely still in stage 2. I still have a lot of projects that I want to do including making some fun pillows for the couch, lamps on the end tables, and some accent chairs would be nice(just waiting for a steal on some antique chairs that need some tender lovin'.) But I am most proud of the large window mirror on the wall. I just recently finished this project a few weeks ago, I found that old window at a salvage yard for a whopping $10! I then found a glass cutter to cut mirror tiles that I already had to the right size. He charged me $30 so the project cost me $40 total! Which is a steal, especially since I had my eyes on the Pottery Barn window paned mirror selling for $699! I saved a ton! Oh and I just took these pictures so that is why you see all the Halloween decor in the background...you all know my love for Halloween!



This picture is pretty boring...man I really need some pillows and lamps...but don't you love my end tables I'll show you the before and after later!
This is opposite side of living room, across from the couch


1/2 Bath Before:

1/2 Bath: After
All we really have done in here is painted, added a new light fixture, and put in a new mirror...so this is also in stage 2 of the remodeling phase. Eventually we would like to replace the flooring and get a pedestal sink.

9 comments:

  1. Welcome to Blog World! :) I love the after kitchen picture! I just happened upon your blog and saw it was your first post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how the kitchen floor toned the brightness down. I love the changes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it Sum!!!!! Way to go girl. I love that you have a separate blog for all of your ideas. I am definitely a follower. Your kitchen looks fabulous and the mirror is to die for. Keep up the hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, love, love it! Great ideas and good for people on a budget! Keep the posts coming! You've got some unique ideas! I love the window mirror it turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Summer- it looks great! I too especially love that mirror, what a great idea! You Blackhurst girls are so crafty and have a great eye for decor! Can't wait to see what else you are doing with the place! can you come help me with mine?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know you had such decorating talents! Looks so pretty. I loved your comment on my blog...Summer is actually on our "short list" of names!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks awesome! I love the cabinet doors off! It really updated the look. That was a lot of work painting those cabinets! Your floors are way nice too! You got great style Summer! So nice to finally see the fruits of your labors!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow... you have always been so good at that kind of stuff!!! And you have always have had great style. Good Job I love everything you have done to your place. So I am asuming that you bought your place! You really did an awesome job. you inspire me! Love you! :)

    -Ur bestie,
    Britt

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your style sista! It is nice you have found your creative outlet and I will enjoy seeing all that you come up with.

    p.s. I hope Kaisley keeps napping long hours for you so that you can continue your projects. I feel like I can barely get a shower in! Love you.

    ReplyDelete